Monday 2 April 2012

Damselflies


This evening my father and stepmother told me a story of which I have no memory at all. When I was ten years old my family and I were visiting a Roman ruin in France; I grew bored of Roman drainage and slipped off by myself. Panic ensued as no-one had seen me leave or had any idea where I was.

I was found a mile away on a little bridge over a stream, watching damselflies.

Obviously.


In nature, a child finds freedom, fantasy, and privacy: a place distant from the adult world, a separate peace.

Richard Louv
Last Child in the Woods – Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

2 comments:

  1. Ha,funny...we have a similar family tale; only I was 3, found after an hour's frantic search by the whole family, curled up in a cardboard box in the garage, sucking my thumb, watching a spider spinning its web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich, good to hear from you. How are things going? I'm warming up for my long Madagascar season, starting in October.

    ReplyDelete